Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sometimes getting your panties in a bunch is a good thing

As I work on my celiac disease blog, GF2, I am forced to take action on some tasks I have been putting off for quite some time. For example, I just finished writing McDonald's a strongly-worded letter (okay, webpage comment) on the inadequacies of their menu and nutrition information:
Because of a family tradition, I eat at McDonald's once a year on Christmas Eve--and I hate it. While you have many delicious menu options, I can eat none of them with confidence because I have celiac disease and lactose intolerance. Even your fries, which are made from naturally gluten-free potatoes, contain wheat! On top of that, your nutrition and ingredients list is almost impossible to read, and certainly tedious to use. Typically, I eat a hamburger patty (often pulled off of a wheat bun), the fruit from the fruit and walnut salad, and a drink. Do you know how depressing that meal is? 
Because of this experience, I have placed you on the "Places to avoid" list for my celiac disease blog. If you want me (and gluten-free diners everywhere) to consider you with an open mind, give us a nutritional chart we can actually understand and something to eat other than meat, select condiments, and fruit. 
Here is a sample to get you started: http://www.wendys.com/food/pdf/us/gluten_free_list.pdf
Before you call me crazy, compare the online information provided by McDonald's to that of Wendy's.

source
source
The choice is obvious--am I right?